for-real-things-I-know
For Real Things I Know: Sun is good: I am disturbed on many levels by this

For Real Things I Know

Fine-art digital photography, liberal hard left-leaning politics, and personal mindspace of Solomon

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States

Monday, May 23, 2005

Sun is good: I am disturbed on many levels by this

Too little sun as bad as too much? - Other Cancer News - MSNBC.com:
“The statement that ’no sun exposure is good’ I don’t think is correct anymore,” said Dr. Henry Lim, chairman of dermatology at Henry Ford Health System in Detroit and an academy vice president.

I am disturbed that we humans have driven industrialized, anti-nature society to the point that we would ever make statements like "no sun exposure is good."

I am disturbed that people would seek a life of absolutely no risks (cancer, obesity, alcoholism, heart attacks, drug addiction, accidental death, broken hearts, plane crashes, etc.) instead of balancing them against the rewards of the pleasures of the flesh (sunshine, sugar, olive oil, bourbon, double cheeseburgers, cannabis, one night stands, marriage, riding a horse). Sure, someday you will or may pay a cost for that pleasure; but you're paying a cost for refusing that pleasure as well. Although, in the interest of disclosure, I must say that I am a hedonist.

I am disturbed that there is a direct relationship between how much I trust a scientific study and how harmful the results of that study are to commercial interests. The sun is free; very few people can make money on this. I guess the tanning industry might smile on the news, but they are nothing compared to the drug, beauty and chemical companies that create sunscreen ingredients.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home