for-real-things-I-know
For Real Things I Know: GRE scores

For Real Things I Know

Fine-art digital photography, liberal hard left-leaning politics, and personal mindspace of Solomon

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

GRE scores

I took the Graduate Record Exam practice test using the software that the GRE folks provide for free. I can't say I'm particularly surprised by the results. Let me first state that I purposefully did not practice or look at anything in regard to the exam, including the number of questions and the time that I had to answer them; I didn't study a thing, mathematically or verbally, completely and totally going into it cold.

Given that:

On the Verbal I scored 620, which it said was 92nd percentile, and finished all the questions.

The Math (Quantitative) score was only 500, which it said was 32nd percentile.

I might normally be crushed by my Quantitative score, but I only saw half of the questions and not because they stumped me but because I was really slow having not cranked out math in a long time (say, 14 years). Of the questions I did answer, I answered only one wrong. All of the questions seem very simple (annual interest rate, basic geometry, basic algebra, interpreting graphs, etc.). I have little doubt that just practicing math will raise my speed, and thus my score, into the 90th percentile and above.

As to the verbal, I did well for taking it cold, but I can't really gauge how I'll do after lots of studying. I have a pretty damn extensive vocabulary right now and don't know how well I can sharpen it. But I'll try.

As of right now, I look forward to taking the GRE and think it will be a lot of fun, especially the analytical writing portion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home