for-real-things-I-know
For Real Things I Know: Only Whites Claim Katrina's Poor Response is NOT Racist - by Kirsten Anderberg

For Real Things I Know

Fine-art digital photography, liberal hard left-leaning politics, and personal mindspace of Solomon

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States

Monday, September 05, 2005

Only Whites Claim Katrina's Poor Response is NOT Racist - by Kirsten Anderberg

Only Whites Claim Katrina's Poor Response is NOT Racist by Kirsten Anderberg:
...
Yesterday morning, Sept. 2, 2005, I went out and wrote 'Stop the genocide in New Orleans NOW! Impeach GWBush' in chalk on sidewalks near my house. I found it wildly interesting that as I was writing one of these, a white male in his 20's came up and said 'If you were not a woman, I would beat the sh*t out of you right now.' I said, 'Why, for writing this in chalk?' He said 'You are so ignorant. You do not even know what genocide is.' I said, 'Excuse me sir, I have a degree in political science from the University of Washington and also have successfully passed all my prerequisites in law school, and I am well aware of what the word genocide means.' I quoted the Webster Collegiate Dictionary definition: 'the deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group.' It was as if steam began coming out his ears at this, he puffed his chest, and began to stand in a physically threatening manner close to me. I said, 'You know, I am twice you size. And I can be absolutely crazy if you push me. Just know you may endanger yourself physically if you touch me.' He left with his legs between his tail, but why did a white male want to BEAT ME for saying that?!

I watched this trend continue all day yesterday. White men threatened me with violence ALL DAY yesterday for not giving an inch, calling this a genocide. I took a very large protest sign out to the streets yesterday. It said 'No more RACIST and CLASSIST genocide in New Orleans. Impeach Bush Now.' The first bus I got on, a black man immediately said to me 'You got that right, sister.' Then as I waited for the next bus, a black delivery man unloading near where I was waiting came up to me and said I was 100% right with my sign. When I got on the bus, I sat down, and an older black man turned around from the seat in front of me and said my sign was right on, and wondered how a white girl like me ended up out there protesting the racism. We talked for quite some time. Then I got off the bus into downtown Seattle.
...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home