for-real-things-I-know
For Real Things I Know: An interest burgeoning: corporate ethics

For Real Things I Know

Fine-art digital photography, liberal hard left-leaning politics, and personal mindspace of Solomon

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States

Thursday, September 30, 2004

An interest burgeoning: corporate ethics

This is a buzz in the back of my head right now. But it is what limited me to seek out only two places in Ann Arbor which I was willing to work for long-term. I needed to find places that demonstrated an ability and a conscious drive to marry ethics to a profit margin. Since my interest is food, that meant two places for me, Zingerman's and People's Food Coop. I'm sure that others might exist, but I don't know of them yet, which means that the importance placed on ethics isn't screamed out like I believe those two businesses scream them out.

World Religions: Ethical Resources for the Modern Business Corporation:
C. Don Presario, speaking of the importance of just one religion to corporate stewardship, tells us, "In Buddhist theory, moral corruption or moral growth tends to flow from higher levels of the social hierarchy to the lower levels. It is imperative that we entrust the guidance of the destinies of the world to individuals who have cultivated the [ethical sense] that Buddhism prescribes in its Nobel Path." [P. Don Premasiri, "The Relevance of the Nobel Eightfold Path to Contemporary Society," in Buddhist Ethics and Modern Society, edited by Charles Wei-hsun Fu and Sandra A. Wawrytko (New York: Greenwood Press, 1991)]

Today's modern business corporation is at the top of the social hierarchy. Given the dependence of civilization on these corporations, what their managers do -- good or bad -- will "flow" to the rest of the world. Corporate leaders can, as they become the stewards of the world, avail themselves to the great ethical traditions found within the world's religions and philosophies.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

You might check out Arbor Farms on Stadium. I'm not exactly sure how they marry ethics and profit but I tend to think they're above most.

3:14 PM  
Blogger the girl said...

I definitely want to talk about this when I have my head on more straight.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home