for-real-things-I-know
For Real Things I Know: RealPlayer has so many ads, but...

For Real Things I Know

Fine-art digital photography, liberal hard left-leaning politics, and personal mindspace of Solomon

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

RealPlayer has so many ads, but...

This must be a United Kingdom day for me this morning, the way it's shaping up.

The BBC offers RealPlayer without any of the ads, spyware, etc. Evidently BBC's charter prevents them from allowing outside advertising, so they came to a special agreement with RealNetworks. So RealOne is spyware-free if downloaded from the BBC's installation page.

I also decided to register as if I lived in London (although I used the fake postal code E20, which some UK soap opera uses). Lo and behold, all the trailers and previews are UK related now, which is infinitely cooler than the American related ones. I wouldn't be offered Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy episodes if I told them I lived in Michigan.

Thank you to LibrarianInBlack and Neil Gaiman's journal for the BBC/RealOne info.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home