for-real-things-I-know
For Real Things I Know: Pistols at noon outside Congress' doors

For Real Things I Know

Fine-art digital photography, liberal hard left-leaning politics, and personal mindspace of Solomon

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Pistols at noon outside Congress' doors

100 years ago, they would have been dueling after this...

SCENE: House International Relations Committee
PROTAGONISTS: Henry Hyde (Illinois Republican) & Gary Ackerman (New York Democrat)
At House Hearing, Quips, Insults and Some Official Business
Mr. Hyde did not mollify Mr. Ackerman a bit. "Nobody questions your patriotism," Mr. Hyde said. "It's your judgment that's under question."

The two lawmakers interrupted each other a few more times, until Mr. Ackerman said, "What's obvious, Mr. Chairman, is that you are a rather vicious partisan."

"Now you're really getting personal," Mr. Hyde observed.

"Well," Mr. Ackerman countered, "I think that willful ignorance is kind of personal also, Mr. Chairman."

"Just remember," Mr. Hyde shot back, "ignorance is salvageable, but stupid is forever."

"I know that," Mr. Ackerman said, "and I'm glad that you've memorized that." He went on to say that Mr. Hyde's insults notwithstanding, he had never called the president a liar

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home