for-real-things-I-know
For Real Things I Know: Our wanton destruction of culture

For Real Things I Know

Fine-art digital photography, liberal hard left-leaning politics, and personal mindspace of Solomon

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Our wanton destruction of culture

I think this letter saddened me more than I've ever been saddened yet about this disgraceful destruction my country has unilaterally done. If I could even begin to apologize for what my nation has wrought... but there is no apology worthy of it. All I can think to do is not to turn my eyes away, not to pretend it's not happening, not to be numb to it, and not to let it defeat me; to give all the dying people and the culture that we are actively destroying (as opposed to the dozens we passively destroy) dignity in my memory at least.

What must our more introspective soldiers go through, who have to see the destruction daily? Can they help but turn numb in the face of it? I know who the Iraqis will be angry at, but as those soldiers come back who didn't sign up to destroy a culture, who will they be angry at?

Informed Comment : 09/01/2004 - 09/30/2004: "[From Dr. Kamil Mahdi, who has lectured in economics at Exeter University in the UK and is an Iraqi expatriate and former political exile.]

Did you realise they are demolishing the old city of Najaf, just like that?! This is an act of unbelievable vandalism and ignorance, and it is in the style of Saddam.
...
The destruction of Najaf which is now under way is drastic and irreversible. Read the statement by Hussain Al-Shami, the Shi'i waqf [Pious Endowments] head. Clearly, the whole thing was a mere idea two weeks ago, and already demolition has begun.

People should at least discuss the rights and wrongs of such decisions. There is no such discussion. Is this the so-called democracy all these people have died and are dying for? If this is carried out without an open and meaningful public consultation that takes place in a rational atmosphere and in total transparency, it will be nothing short of a criminal assault on Iraq's heritage and on its history. All over the civilised world, historic cities are protected, preserved and developed in ways that retain the character and identity of the city and the integrity of its physical and social fabric.
..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home