for-real-things-I-know
For Real Things I Know: I wrote my representatives

For Real Things I Know

Fine-art digital photography, liberal hard left-leaning politics, and personal mindspace of Solomon

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

I wrote my representatives

This is a copy of what I wrote to Senator Carl Levin, Senator Debbie Stabenow, and Representative John Dingell (the links take you to their email contact pages):

I am outraged at the disregard for the law and for the privacy of myself and my fellow Americans that President George W. Bush has exhibited by warrantlessly eavesdropping on overseas conversations.

I wholeheartedly support Caroline Fredrickson, Director of the ACLU Washington Legislative Office when she says:

"Eavesdropping on conversations of U.S citizens and others in the United States without a court order and without complying with the procedures of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act is both illegal and unconstitutional. The administration is claiming extraordinary presidential powers at the expense of civil liberties and is putting the president above the law. Congress must investigate this report thoroughly. We also call upon Attorney General Alberto Gonzales to appoint a special prosecutor to independently investigate whether crimes have been committed.

"The Patriot Act already provides law enforcement a wide array of surveillance powers and it vastly expands the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. These disclosures show that the kinds of safeguards many members of Congress are trying to build into the Patriot Act are urgently needed."

I demand that a full, open-ended investigation of the actions of this President and the NSA take place immediately. Congress needs to provide a check against this President because he can not keep himself from abusing his power. Even the President of the United States can not commit a felony and get away with it. He must obey the law.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home