for-real-things-I-know
For Real Things I Know: The tyranny of reading

For Real Things I Know

Fine-art digital photography, liberal hard left-leaning politics, and personal mindspace of Solomon

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States

Saturday, August 20, 2005

The tyranny of reading

I really enjoyed reading this. And I guess that's what my blog is really about, relating those things that I really feel joy/hate/love/fear/anxiety/sorrow/emotion/etc. for.

Guardian Unlimited Books | By genre | The tyranny of reading: "However, it's fine for anyone to confess that they really can't stick shopping; one can even seem quite smug about it. Not so if you aren't keen on books. Reading must be about the only pastime that is pretty much universally seen as 'good' and virtuous - so to say openly that you don't like books puts you beyond the pale. For someone to say they don't care for reading labels them as some kind of thickie pariah, fair game for any insult. To decide any such thing on the basis of one single trait seems both sweeping and snobbish."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home