for-real-things-I-know
For Real Things I Know: What Shall I Be: The Exciting Game of Career Girls

For Real Things I Know

Fine-art digital photography, liberal hard left-leaning politics, and personal mindspace of Solomon

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States

Saturday, August 20, 2005

What Shall I Be: The Exciting Game of Career Girls

The pictures of everything, especially the Personality Cards ("You are overweight -- Bad for: Airline Hostess, Ballet Dancer, and Model" or "You get too excited -- Bad for: Airline Hostess and Nurse"), make the link leap worth it. This is the societial image of women's careers that little boys and girls 40 years ago had to grow up in.

bradley's almanac:
It's called 'What Shall I Be?', and I imagine that when the Bay Shore, NY-based Selchow & Righter Company sent it to toy store shelves in 1966 that they saw it as a progressive step. 'Let's get our little American girls ready for the wide-open working world!'.
[picture]
Looking at it now, nearly 40 years removed, it's mostly just a riot, or maybe kinda sad, depending on how far you think workplace gender equality has come since the mid-sixties.

Your goal? Be the first player to become a 'Career Girl' in your chosen field by collecting School Cards, Subject Cards, and Personality Cards that can either help or hinder you. The laughs start when you see what six future careers are available for young girls to choose from...
[picture]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home