for-real-things-I-know
For Real Things I Know: Bukowski on steroids?

For Real Things I Know

Fine-art digital photography, liberal hard left-leaning politics, and personal mindspace of Solomon

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States

Friday, April 01, 2005

Bukowski on steroids?

The next movie on my have-to-see list is Sin City. At first, I thought this was just another comic book made into a movie, but now I see that it's quite a bit more. Robert Rodriguez is directing this flick, with Frank Miller (the creator of the comic book) as a co-director, and Quentin Tarantino as a guest director. In and of itself, that would be enough to excite me, but when Mickey Rourke is described as "Bukowski on steroids" then I'm there.

Rodriguez also dropped out of the Director's Guild of America so he could share the directing credit with Frank Miller.

UGO Screenwriter's Voice - News -- March 29, 2004:
I'm fine with leaving and they're fine with my leaving. Someone in my position doesn't need the protection of the guild as much as a newcomer who might get strong-armed by a film company. In my case, the obstacles I face come from the guild. Studios are only too happy when I suggest shooting something in digital, or when I try to do 20 jobs at the same time on my movies. I don't consider this a negative thing, and perhaps it's better that I resign and come back later than have someone use my precedent as an example to strong-arm a directing credit they don't deserve on some future film.

I didn't want Frank to be treated as just a writer, because he is the only one who has actually been to Sin City. I am making such a literal interpretation of his book that I'd have felt weird taking directing credit without him. It was easier for me to quietly resign before shooting because otherwise I'd have been forced to make compromises I was unwilling to make. Or set a precedent that might hurt the guild later on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home