for-real-things-I-know
For Real Things I Know: Running away from what?

For Real Things I Know

Fine-art digital photography, liberal hard left-leaning politics, and personal mindspace of Solomon

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States

Thursday, November 04, 2004

Running away from what?

I hear the general chorus of people talking about running away, either running away to another state because of gay marriage amendments in eleven states or leaving the country because of the vote for Bush. I had a fleeting moment of that myself, so I'm not denigrating the thought, but I did think of counterpoints to my thoughts about leaving.

I don't see anything being accomplished by leaving. If I leave Michigan or Oregon or whatever other states voted so discriminatorily, that state is still going to be discriminating, and my not being there will be one vote that state doesn't have the next time the issue is voted on. My not being there will be one less voice being heard in protest or in argument to someone lifting their voice about the wrongs of gay marriage. My not being there encourages the growth of the very thing to which I'm in opposition.

I see the same about leaving the country. If I leave, the country is still there. Bush is still in office, war is still being fought in Iraq, innocent people are still being killed, the poor are still getting shat upon. The U.S. is still holding its financial needs above its ethical duties. I'll still be an American citizen whether I'm in Britain, Canada, or Mexico, and judging from the blogs I read from Americans abroad, I would still feel as much frustration, as much anger, as much disappointment.

Taking my voice away won't help. Adding to the possibility of the state or country I'm leaving becoming less intolerant or more warlike is not an attractive option to me, however emotionally attractive it might seem.

As much as this may be like believing in the lottery, or believing in the American Dream, I do believe that my voice can help make a difference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home