for-real-things-I-know
For Real Things I Know: Nalgene Bottles

For Real Things I Know

Fine-art digital photography, liberal hard left-leaning politics, and personal mindspace of Solomon

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States

Monday, August 30, 2004

Nalgene Bottles

- From RMAD, http://www.rmad.org/nalgene.html - [WARNING: Unsettling photos, do not open without reading UPDATE 1, below]
Nicole wanted to know what animal cruelty issues I was speaking about in regard to Nalgene. I've gone back and forth about whether or not to talk about this through the years to my friends, since I know how much Nalgene is loved by them. And I hold no ill will toward them or any Nalgene bottle user, and would accept a free Google Nalgene bottle myself. But I can't escape this picture coming into my head every time I see a Nalgene bottle. As for corporate lobbying, I doubt that will have any effect on this laboratory product company since their belief in the need for animal research is a strong part of their corporate ethic.
Posted by Hello

UPDATE 1: I removed the picture from my website as a result of conversations which have led me to believe that my judgement was suspect. My political beliefs are such that I believe certain realities should be in people's faces. That said, I tend to go overboard and not respect what people want to see or want to hear--essentially, taking that choice away from them, like a pro-life activist flashing posters of aborted fetuses on the street corner. I can cross that line sometimes, the classic example of which was when I wanted to tattoo the word "VEGAN" across my arm. Someone I know and respect thinks that the picture I showed crossed the line. I'm not certain of this, but I trust their judgement on this matter more than I trust my own. Suffice it to say that Nalgene is a lab equipment company and the picture shows a piece of their equipment in use. The picture is hard to shake once you see it, so don't look at it if that could bother you.

2 Comments:

Blogger the girl said...

I had no idea.

A lot of companies are making Nalgene knock-offs, so I guess that's what I'll be purchasing in the future. :(

1:10 PM  
Blogger the girl said...

These sorts of things always make me wonder, "What was the comment? What did I miss?"

Regardless, I'm glad you told me about the company, whether it be here via another means of communication. To be honest, I had always wondered why the website to purchase bottles was nalgene-outdoor, but no bells had ever gone off that perhaps they had other related businesses.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home