for-real-things-I-know
For Real Things I Know: My job frustrations, Part II

For Real Things I Know

Fine-art digital photography, liberal hard left-leaning politics, and personal mindspace of Solomon

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

My job frustrations, Part II

Secrecy in the workplace has its place sometimes, I understand that. Mostly, however, I think it is a poisonous detriment to the workplace both for efficiency and for morale, so I won't usually support it.

Here's the timeline of my events:
Jul 2 - Last day at Arbor Farms, I'm told to come talk about a full-time position when I get back
Jul 10 (one month and a day ago) - Married to my favorite woman in the world.
Jul 11 - Start my honeymoon.
Jul 26 - Honeymoon's over. Stop in at Arbor Farms to see what this FT position might be about. Told to stop in July 29 for a meeting.
Jul 29 - Stop in for a meeting. Told about the position. Asked what my needs are. Explorative discussion occurs for an hour and a half. High hopes exist at end of meeting.
Jul 30 - Told by owner of store that if position is created, might not start until August 15.
Aug 5 - Call back as was told to do and am laughingly and rather derisively told that staffing discussions won't occur until that Friday or Saturday. Underlying message is very clear--your needs aren't important, only our needs are.
Aug 11 - Call back again and am told that no discussions have yet taken place, they might take place August 14.

I guess I'm fed up, a little angry, and feel as if I'm just being strung along. They know I'm not employed and I guess they know that the job market is such that they are in a position of power. I don't like being kept in limbo, and I guess I'm willing to work wherever now in order to not be there. It's time to hit the pavement again and put in applications... joy of joys :)

1 Comments:

Blogger the girl said...

Man, oh man, even if they're not intentionally stringing you along, you are right in that they are definitely not regarding giving you an answer one way or the other as any kind of priority.

When I interviewed at Columbia I flat out said I had another offer and that I needed to know immediately. Now in your case that wouldn't exactly be true, but maybe it would help.

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home