for-real-things-I-know
For Real Things I Know: Why Stay In An Abusive Relationship

For Real Things I Know

Fine-art digital photography, liberal hard left-leaning politics, and personal mindspace of Solomon

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Why Stay In An Abusive Relationship

Anyone who shakes their head in disbelief at someone staying in an abusive relationship should read this: Why Do They Stay? As one of the commenters said, "While I've read a number of articles that provided an intellectual framework for understanding abusive relationships, this is the first that gave me a gut-level understanding that 'there but for the grace of God go I'."

1 Comments:

Blogger Hennifer said...

I believe the only question we should ask ourselves, the victim, society is WHY did he choose to use violence, WHY did he choose to beat her... anything other than that is victim blaming and will only add to what they've already suffered.

That said, I'm glad to see that post (with some exceptions). It has been frightening to me, in the wake of the much publicized musicians' situation, the things I have seen and heard.

It truly is a process of eroding self esteem and support systems that I don't think we really understand unless we've been there. Add to that the danger, and all the other complicating factors.
It is so sad.

The center here does this great exercise on loss that really drove home for me what it means to be at the point where you want to leave and executing that is insurmountable

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home