for-real-things-I-know
For Real Things I Know: Let's provide a reason to stereotype this child

For Real Things I Know

Fine-art digital photography, liberal hard left-leaning politics, and personal mindspace of Solomon

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States

Monday, August 27, 2007

Let's provide a reason to stereotype this child

What value is there in knowing that your child is in the Xth percentile for height or weight or intelligence or such? For most things outside those issues that are clinically urgent to address is there any advantage in knowing that information? I'm tempted to ask our pediatrician to just leave me in the dark about that unless it's medically vital.

It's a real question, if anyone has an answer.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only reason I can of that would be important is if a situation came up like with Z. and her not eating properly. Also, the benchmarks might be helpful if you switched pediatricians unexpectedly to help you be aware of any unusual changes.

X. was very long & skimpy for a little while and it was a bit of a concern for his first three months. I'd say after that after he was no longer nearly dangerously underweight (failure to thrive) it was all irrelevant.

Same with "milestones." X. always passed milestones and I was always pleased. In the end, however, the fact that he developed certain skills earlier than most should possibly have been a red flag rather than a bonus. Likewise, Ellen once told me that her passing some milestones such as sitting up in her crib very early were some of the markers to her pediatrician that she had dwarfism.

Are these things important as stereotypes? I don't think so. I think that the important thing is to be very mindful and aware of your daughter and the changes she makes as she develops and ask every frickin' question you feel like asking, which I know you'll do anyway because that's the kind of person that you are. :)

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home