for-real-things-I-know
For Real Things I Know: Guardian Unlimited | Life | Don't dumb me down

For Real Things I Know

Fine-art digital photography, liberal hard left-leaning politics, and personal mindspace of Solomon

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Guardian Unlimited | Life | Don't dumb me down

Guardian Unlimited | Life | Don't dumb me down:
So how do the media work around their inability to deliver scientific evidence? They use authority figures, the very antithesis of what science is about, as if they were priests, or politicians, or parent figures. 'Scientists today said ... scientists revealed ... scientists warned.' And if they want balance, you'll get two scientists disagreeing, although with no explanation of why (an approach at its most dangerous with the myth that scientists were 'divided' over the safety of MMR). One scientist will 'reveal' something, and then another will 'challenge' it. A bit like Jedi knights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home