for-real-things-I-know
For Real Things I Know: Blogger Knowledge

For Real Things I Know

Fine-art digital photography, liberal hard left-leaning politics, and personal mindspace of Solomon

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Blogger Knowledge

Blogger Knowledge: "(A refusal to capitalize is just one grammar horror that can be spotted at first glance. I can also spot an overuse of the ellipsis at 50 paces. There are two reasons to use an ellipsis (and neither one is because you don't want to write a transition): Use an ellipsis to indicate words omitted from a direct quote or to trail off intriguingly. If neither of these are your intention, try a period. Dot. Full stop. Terminal punctuation can be your friend.)"

Okay, I've been fairly rebuked. Hello, my name is Solomon Davis, and I'm addicted to ellipses. I can see myself in what she just wrote, and will take into consideration whether a period would work instead of an ellipsis. Perhaps I just like to trail off intriguingly a lot.... That ellipsis is an example of how I like to use (and admittedly misuse) ellipses, as an indication that there is more I could say or more that is implied than the sentence says on its surface. In that example, I left off saying that perhaps I like trailing off intriguingly a lot because I think my thoughts are possibly more profound than they really are, which is for the reader to decide. So, Jennifer Garrett, I will take your thoughts into serious consideration.

1 Comments:

Blogger the girl said...

I feel like my thoughts trail off quite a bit (although I know I overuse the elipsis). Sometimes I get distracted and thought is never really completed....

hehheheheh

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home